Here’s the deal: God didn’t intend for us to live in isolation. He specifically designed us to crave—and thrive in—relationship with others. We’re our best selves when we’re experiencing life’s highs and lows with others. That means everyone, whether single or married, needs community.
Community is such a gift and I’m so thankful for the amazing people God has placed in my life.
The Bible has a lot to say about this topic! Here are four reasons the Bible tells us community is so important:
1. Community is encouraging.
2. Being in community gives you the chance to be around people at different stages of their faith journey—and to bear their burdens alongside them (Galatians 6:2). That’s awesome, because everyone has something to teach and to learn. In fact, it creates the ideal environment to be a Barnabas (friend), pursue a Paul (teacher), or train a Timothy (student).
3. Community teaches us to serve and work together as a team. “There was a man all alone; he had neither son nor brother. There was no end to his toil, yet his eyes were not content with his wealth. “For whom am I toiling,” he asked, “and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?” This too is meaningless- a miserable business!” (4:8) What does this tell us? We were not made to do life alone. We were made to serve others and live in community. Be a team player and embrace different people and ways of doing things!
4. Community is fun! Psalm 133:1 (NIV) tells us, “How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!”
5. Community attracts the Holy Spirit. The Bible says the Holy Spirit is present whenever believers gather together (Matthew 18:20). A great example of this was the early church of Acts, which made a habit of meeting together, eating together, and worshiping together. Being a part of a local body of believers is important.
But you know what the enemy loves to do especially to us women? Tear us apart! Why? Because we as women are LIFE GIVERS. He wants to isolate us, making us feel alone and unworthy. But something beautiful happens when we take the mask off and show up as our real and authentic selves. The second we pull back the veil it allows the other girl to pull back her’s.
I know 2020 was hard on all of us but you also need to know this → we were made for real in life community. Not just community behind a screen on Instagram. I’m talking about finding women who pray with you and cheer you on. Not compete and compare. People who show up in your brokenness with the joy of Jesus uniting your hearts!
When I first had Corban, the girls in my small group delivered meals, called & texted me, and prayed over us. They rallied around me and that’s what community does!
Choose courage/comfort today girls! Finding and building community won’t be easy. Why? Because it will require you stepping out, opening your heart, being vulnerable and serving others before you ever get served. It also may require time and patience. But guess what? None of those are things the Lord won’t faithfully give in His timing if you’re truly reliant upon Him.
March 4, 2021